The Escapists, a crowd-funded prison break game where all that stands between you and your freedom is a perfectly executed escape plan, enters Steam Early Access today. The prospective escapist must hatch a clever plan to break out of prison, craft or steal the needed equipment and chip away at walls and other obstacles in his path, without making guards suspicious. This means you need to blend in, stick to the prison routine and use it to your advantage (a job at the laundromat gives you access to guard uniforms…) and sneak away to do your own thing when guards aren’t looking. I’ve sunk a frightening amount of time into the pre-release version and am eager for the release and upcoming features (see below). 16bitkings will publish a review of The Escapists later.
Features at launch:
- Shankton State Pen, a fully operational prison complete with routines to give you a flavour of how it *really* is inside! Plus prison that’s custom built for the Early Access: The Fhurst Peak Correctional Facility.
- 3 Separate job opportunities for you to sink your teeth into… If you have the knowledge to earn and hold down these employment paths, of course!
- 100+ Unique Items for you to seek out and perhaps even craft useful items with. (Team17 fully endorse the use of various weapons such as ‘shivs’, ‘nunchucks’ and ‘maces’ – within a fictional setting, of course!).
- Various Favour types for you to tackle offered up by inmates – You wouldn’t want to go upsetting them now, would you?
- Highly opinionated and incredibly funny inmates and guards to keep you on your toes as well as providing entertainment!
- Multiple escape routes for you to work out and achieve the title of ‘The Escapist’!
- Steam Leaderboard – Once you have escaped, see how you fared against other successfully escaped players!
- Prison Editor – Create from scratch your very own confinement masterpiece and share it with the community!
- Six prisons for you to attempt to escape from – including a P.O.W camp!
Want more? Take a look at the preview video for a brief introduction to the features. [youtube url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpF3LFlXgSc” hd=”1″ rel=”0″]